Built by tobacco wholesaler and purchased in 1884 by Thomas Brennan, a native of Ireland and prominent inventor. He and his wife, Anna, had eight children who occupied the home through 1969.
The three-story Italianate townhouse has 16-foot ceilings, a library, six bedrooms, stained-glass windows, expansive veranda, hand-carved marble and slate mantels, crystal chandeliers, and walls lined with personal family items and portraits.
Rooms are decorated with the original Brennan family collection including hand-carved dining room & bedroom furniture, an ornate silver service, and steamer trunks with memorabilia from world travels.
One son, Dr. J.A.O. Brennan, added an office, waiting room and exam room to the north wing of the house in 1912 which remains intact, including exam table, equipment and medical volumes dating to the early 20th century.
Today it houses the nonprofit advocacy organization Preservation Louisville Inc., whose mission is to protect and promote the cultural, architectural and environmental heritage of our community.
The Brennan House Historic Home is not open for daily public tours. The mansion and garden is available for group tours, rentals and special events by appointment.
The Brennan House
631 S 5th St