The lot originally cost $5000, and the house cost $120,000 to build. After Culbertson’s death, he willed the home to his third wife, who auctioned off the house and contents in 1899 for $7,100.
The three-story, Second-Empire mansion encompasses more than 20,000 square feet and contains 25 rooms. The facade, east elevation and west elevation all feature semi-circular bays, allowing plenty of light into the rooms.
In 1964 the mansion was in danger of being torn down, to be replaced by a gas station. Instead, a local historic group called Historic New Albany purchased the mansion for $24,000. It was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1974 and became a part of the Indiana State Museum and Historic Sites in 1976.
904 E. Main St. was completed in 1887 as a home for Culbertson’s son.
704 E. Main St. was completed by Culbertson as the ‘Old Ladies Home’ to house indigent widows.
The Samuel Culbertson Mansion in Old Louisville was built as a home for Culbertson’s son in 1897. It operates as a bed & breakfast in today.